Kentucky: Senator John Schickel Proposes Legalization Of On-Farm Raw Milk SalesSentator John Schickel is proposing an act relating to legalization of raw milk sales in Kentucky. BR 294 would amend KRS 217C.030 to define "permitted producer" and "raw milk"; create a new section of KRS Chapter 217C to allow for the sale of raw milk at a farm site.
The language includes:
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:
Section 1. KRS 217C.030 is amended to read as follows:
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Secretary" means the secretary of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services;[.]
(2) "Cabinet" means the Cabinet for Health and Family Services;[.]
(3) "Permitted producer" means any producer issued a permit by the cabinet to offer milk for sale; and
(4) "Raw milk" means milk that has not been pasteurized.
SECTION 2. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 217C IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
(1) A permitted producer may sell raw milk to a final consumer, for the consumer's own use, at the farm on which the raw milk is produced.
(2) A permitted producer desiring to sell raw milk directly to a final consumer at the producer's farm shall be in compliance with all applicable administrative regulations promulgated under this chapter.
(3) Each container of raw milk offered for sale or as free samples shall be:
(a) Bottled and packaged in a sanitary manner and by a method which prevents contamination, including the hand filling and capping of containers; and
(b) Clearly labeled as "Ungraded raw milk" or "Produced with ungraded raw milk." The label shall carry any additional warnings and specifications the cabinet may require.
(4) Raw milk shall not be sold or offered as free samples at any location other than the farm on which the milk is produced.
View the Act: BR-294-KY.pdf
Link to Kentucky Legislature: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/12RS/SB47.htm
Real Life Dangers of Raw Milk
Several families offered to share their stories on video to help raise awareness about the potential risks and negative effects on health from drinking contaminated raw milk.Real Life Stories